A while ago in “Manual PCB milling” I revealed my plan about Proxxon micro-mill MF70 CNC conversion. After months of assembling, tear down and re-assembling, the first working system is up. I know it is not in the order but I just cannot help to put the video at the top.
Back in time, these were the memorable photos when the MF70 was first purchased and unboxed.
My BOM also includes:
- A set of step motor frames and connectivity kit from eBay seller mbbilici. I compared quite a number of designs and settled with this one. The major advantage is that this set does not require permanent modifications to the MF70 body, especially the X-Y lead screw. I can easily revert MF70 back to its original state in case of warranty claims.
- A USB control board, from a Chinese seller. It is a derived version of planet-cnc’s open source Mk1 DIY controller. The seller added a DC-DC buck-boost regulator in USB 5V power rail to cater for voltage drop. I actually doubt it’s necessity but it is definitely better-than-nothing.
- A 3-way stepper motor driver from the same Chinese seller. The driver board contains 3 Toshiba TB6560 controllers, each provides 3A maximum driving current, more than adequate for my application.
- A Meanwell 24V/100W switch mode power supply.
- 3 step motors (Moons 23HS0410-01). Unfortunately I burned one of the them during testing. And I fixed it by buying another three (Sumtor 57HS5106A4, 0.62A/1.1Nm) 😉
Here are the controller and CNC body after assembling. Every single effort goes into the design of proper chassis.
It also took me nearly a month to wire up the motors, mainly to source for proper connectors and strain relief methods for the flimsy cables. I finally settled with 4mm stainless steel flex-tube, which is amazingly strong yet flexible. And most importantly, it looks really cool!
First cut was on a piece of 2mm thick clear acrylic. I took the sample DXF file from PlanetCNC software and loaded it into CamBam to create G-code. Murphy didn’t catch me this time, everything (just) worked at the first attempt.
The heart belongs to my dear wife. Thanks as always for her support ♥
P.S. During the early testing stage I encountered some USB communication issues. I kinda found the culprit but did not fully figured out the underlying reason. It may deserve another blog post once I fully discovered it.
P.S.2 The machine is not fully finished yet. I plan to make a nice front panel and possibly add a manual jogging controller. But now with CNC it could be much fun…